Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) refers to technology models where students bring a personally-owned device to school for the purpose of learning. Oakbank Area School’s BYOD Program is a “light-touch” or “open” model where students are able to access the school’s wireless network with their personal devices (laptops and tablets) during the school day (with classroom teacher approval) allowing students to access our Learning Management System, filtered internet, printing and to collaborate with others.
Oakbank Area School is committed to moving students forward in a contemporary learning environment and many families have already chosen this option for their child. Having a BYOD program enables OAS to create a sustainable way for the school to have every student with access to a device. A device in the hands of every student extends and enriches learning by:
- Shifting instruction towards student centred learning, where inquiry and authentic learning are emphasized.
- Focusing on contemporary leaning, including critical and creative thinking, collaboration, communication, self-direction, global and cultural awareness.
- Using online learning tools and digital content.
- Increasing student engagement through ICT.
- Creating learning opportunities; anytime, anywhere.
From 2020, our existing optional BYOD model for Years 7-12 will be expanded, with all year 8s being asked to have a BYOD laptop in class. This will extend into Year 9 in 2021 and onwards. The BYOD program continues to be open to all year levels from Year 7 onwards to participate. If a student does not already own a suitable electronic device, there are two* options available:
- Recommended Laptops HP BYOD Portal
Choose from two selected laptop models that meet school requirements. http://www.hpshopping.com.au/oakbankbyod or 13 23 47 (remember to quote the Oakbank5% discount code.)
- Supply your own BYOD laptop
Bring an existing laptop or source your own. Principal’s Laptop Access Scheme
In exceptional circumstances, should you have financial impediments to accessing a laptop for your child, please inquire with the Principal about applying for our Principal’s Laptop Access Scheme, where a laptop may be provided during school times for limited numbers of students.
Please refer to our OAS BYOD Handbook for further details.