Year 8 Technology Studies
Subject Name: Technology Studies
Level: Year 8
Learning Area: Technologies
Recommended Knowledge: C grade or better in Year 7 Technology.
Studies in Design and Technology provide students with the opportunities to develop technological capabilities, through planning, developing and refining design concepts, selecting appropriate materials, analysing designs, making products with resistant materials such as wood and appraising the outcome.
Students will experience a range of manufacturing technologies such as tools, machines, power tools, equipment and or systems to convert materials into products.
The course is designed to equip students with skills and knowledge used in industry.
Students engage in various construction methods used in line with the wider community when working with materials such as wood and metal.
Areas covered include:
• Workshop Practices and safety
• Sustainability of materials social & ethical research
• Design features of products such as storage containers, structures bridges etc
• Skills development practicals
• Investigate standard practices & techniques used in industry
• Basic introduction to CAD
• Appropriate use of power and hand tools.
• Joining techniques
• Construction concepts including structural issues
• Design and produce a product for a specific purpose
• Analyse how motion, force and energy are used to manipulate electromechanical systems
Performance is assessed against the Australian Curriculum standard and reported with A to E grades at the completion of the semester.
• Skills and Application tasks – Practicals, Class Tasks, Tests and Homework
• Folio – Research Tasks, Issue Task, Investigation and Devising and Evaluating Task
• Product Folio – Group and Individual Tasks
Length: One Semester.
Delivery Mode: Onsite, face to face.
Costing: Basic materials are provided. Any excess use may require payment.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All level
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate No
- Assessments Self