Year 9 Technology Studies
Subject Name: Technology Studies
Level: Year 9
Learning Area: Technologies
Recommended Knowledge: C grade or better in Year 8 Technology.
Students further develop skills and knowledge they acquired in the year 8 course. Students focus on properties of wood materials and metal, how to work with them specifically focusing on joining techniques, as well as the use of technology in wood/metal based manufacturing.
Studies in Design and Technology provide students with the opportunities to develop technological capabilities, through planning, developing and refining design concepts, selecting appropriate materials, analysing designs, making products with resistant materials such as wood and metal appraising the outcome.
Students will experience a range of manufacturing technologies such as tools, machines, power tools, equipment and or systems to convert materials into products. The course is designed to equip students with skills and knowledge used in industry.
Students engage in various construction methods used in line with the wider community when working with materials such as wood and metal. Renewable resources and their impact on the environment are addressed throughout the course.
Areas covered include:
• Workshop Practices and safety
• Types of Joinery used in a wide range of products
• Social and Ethical Issue research task
• Design features of specific structures such as a carry all box
• Skills development tasks
• Investigation (multimedia presentation)
• Computer aided design 2D and 3D – Google Sketchup
• Project Design and construction
• Basic Engineering principles
• Analyse, investigate and make judgements on ethical and sustainable production
Performance is assessed against the Australian Curriculum standard and reported with A to E grades at the completion of the semester.
• Skills and Application tasks – Practicals, Class Tasks, Tests and Homework
• Folio – Research Tasks, Issue Task, Investigation and Devising and Evaluating Task
• Product Folio – Group and Individual Tasks
Length: One Semester.
Delivery Mode: Onsite, face to face.
Costing: Basic materials are provided. Any excess use may require payment.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All level
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate No
- Assessments Self